Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a american pit puppy about a year old. She recently fel

Customer Question

Hi I have a american pit bull puppy about a year old. She recently fell into a hole on our porch and she couldn't walk on her rear legs. But now she can walk and she's her normal playful self. She's not showing any signs of pain and she can stretch her legs out in any way. She sits weird. She sits on her lower back instead of butt with her hind legs pointed up. When she walks she humps her back and waddles. The nurse next door said it seems like a groin injury. I've been letting her sit in warm water and massaging the area.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup had a fall and has been walking and sitting funny ever since. I'll do my best to help. From what you're describing, I'd be most suspicious that your pup had suffered some spinal trauma from that fall. When a pet is unable to use their back legs, it typically indicates damage to or compression of the spinal cord. If there's any compression of the spinal cord or damage to it, it can no longer carry the information from the brain to the back legs. In more severe injuries this can cause complete paralysis, but in less severe injuries is can cause them to have a "drunken" or weak gait in the hind legs, knuckling or dragging one or both back legs. The sitting posture that you're describing is commonly seen with dogs who have had a spinal injury. The way you're describing her walk is also concerning. When they don't have good sensation or muscle tone in their rear legs, they do tend to hunch up to place more weight on their front legs. Since they can't move their back legs as well voluntarily, they sometimes will lean on their front legs and "throw" their back legs around by swinging their hips. I would suggest that you have her examined by a vet as soon as you're able in order to have a proper diagnosis made and begin appropriate treatment. It's also very important when you're dealing with spinal injuries that the pet be strictly rested - this means limiting her movements to only those absolutely necessary. Understand that if there is a spinal cord compression caused by something like a herniated disk, movement can exacerbate the injury and potentially cause her to get much worse - including the possibility of paralysis. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She can walk there are no signs of numbness in her legs and she gets better each day yesterday she was walking almost normal. But still sits on her lower back instead of bottom. She will but only for a few minutes. I have attached a picture of how she sits.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Thanks so much for the photos - this is exactly the type of sitting that I was picturing from your description as well. It does make me concerned for spinal issues, and less likely rear leg trauma. ~Dr. Sara
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Starr,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara