Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 3-year-old cat has developed a bluish-black spot on

Customer Question

Hi. My 3-year-old cat has developed a bluish-black spot on his nose over the last 2-3 weeks. I would estimate it at 3-4 millimeters in diameter, it is not round. He is brown-white and the spot is just where the first white hairs appear. The hairs grow normally out of the colored skin now. He is not sore at this spot (I thought it might be dirt and tried to rub it off and he did not seem to be in any pain), neither does he seem at all sick. Should I see a vet immediately, or should I wait? I can send a pic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** If you could post a picture of this area on Chandler's nose with the paper clip icon, the would be great. A picture is worth a thousand words!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See pic.
Good job on the picture. I can see that darkened area on the left side of the distal nasal plan. Do you feel it is growing bigger? Did it seem to initially appear that size and it isn't changing? When you rubbed it, did anything flake off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing flaked off. By chance, I took a picture on April 11, see enclosure. Might there be a dark shadow, already? I cannot remember having it seen grow, but just appear as it is today, but I might not have been very attentive.
I think on that April 11 picture you can see the early beginnings of it. It just looks a little darker on that same location. It is good that the fur isn't being lost there. It is good that he's not bothered by it. Could he have gotten into something that was sticky and then dust adhered to it? I've seen syrup on a cats nose that did something similar. Typically the more concerning lesions are ones that are growing, oozing, scabbing over, painful, or distorting the tissues in that area. Could this be a build up of keratinized cells in that area? Could it be some growth? It would be interesting to see what this looks like up close and in person. I would say it isn't a dire emergency to rush to your vet for, but getting him there to give them a chance to inspect it close up is recommended. They can maybe clip the fur there and do some cytology on the material / cells from the site to see what that shows.