Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has been having issues lately that we've taken him to

Customer Question

My dog has been having issues lately that we've taken him to the vet to on a number of occasions. He had a bladder infection not too long ago (peeing in little bits, and blood in urine), and we gave him antibiotics, and had an x-ray done in case of crystals. There weren't any that showed up, however, in the sample, there were tiny ones. He had these weird looking black head-like spots on his back, and we took him in again, but they had gone away. The vet did skin scrapings and nothing showed up (twice it was done on two different occasions). I don't know when it started, but it's been around for a while: he has discolouration on the skin around his penis and he's always been a dog who likes to lick himself. For the back black-head looking things and the skin discolouration, the vet gave us some shampoo. We hadn't been using it because his back cleared up but recently I've noticed on the discolouration around his groin area has been creeping farther. I'm wondering if I should just keep washing it on a regular basis, if you know what it is, or if I need to take him in again for any other reasons. I'm just a worried "mum" and little things always get me worked up!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as i can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was actually just working on it! I have a picture of it from this morning - it was the best I could do. The second picture is of the shampoo the vet gave us to use months back.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I think I did it... Let me know if it didn't work.
Thank you! The hypigmentation is likely to be post-inflammatory (from bacterial skin infection, perhaps...I believe that I can see two pustules in the photo) or simply an age-related skin change. I see only a very few comedones (blackheads) which simply represent plugging of the hair follicles which in Marley's case appears to be a benign change seen mostly in hairless areas of the skin. The shampoo is antiseborrheic (seborrhea is a disorder of skin maturation and keratinization) and a reasonable one for such skin although benign neglect wouldn't be unreasonable.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So just to double check, it doesn't seem like it's really anything too concerning?
The vet - when we got the shampoo months back for the little black head looking dots on his back - said to use it once a week. Should I start that up again?
I think what looks like a pustule has been there forever.
Thanks for the quick, and detailed, response.
Correct. I don't see the need for such a shampoo at this time. Should a "crop" of comedones appear once again, the shampoo would be helpful. Yes, if that's been there forever it isn't a pustule! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Great. Thank you very much for your help and expertise!
It's my pleasure.