Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 5 pound chihuahuas face is very swollen noticed about an

Customer Question

My 5 pound chihuahuas face is very swollen noticed about an hour ago gave her 5mg of Benadryl. She has not been outside. I guess
It's possible a spider bit her indoors but I'm thinking possibly some sort of food allergy. She is 10 and I have toddlers any food item they drop by accident she is right there to catch it. But I have never had an issue like this. Should I be really worried what signs should I look for.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's been laying on me since the Benadryl now I just hear heavy panting but only when she's asleep could that just be the effect from the medicine making her extremely drowsy. Other than the swelling and random panting she is acting completely fine. How long until the swelling is supposed to go down
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It does sound like an allergic reaction. It should go away over the next 12-24 hours with Benadryl. I would continue to give it at a dose of 1-2 mg per lb body weight. You can give 5-10 mg at a time in this dog. Don't be alarmed if it takes a while for the swelling to go down completely. It can take 24-48 hours in some dogs. Just be patient. If the gums look pale or blue, then I would get her to a vet. Otherwise, just keep up with the Benadryl and it should resolve nicely. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. I guess my only other thing I worry about is fever she feels really warm will be really hard to get a temp on her but I'm going to try usually takes 2 people. Anything I can do to reduce it from home if it's over 102? And is fever a common symptom of an allergic reaction?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
If there is also a fever, Benadryl and steroids should get it down. If we're in the 102-103 range, I'm not too worried. If it's > 103, then I would see a vet for some steroids +/- antibiotics to get the temp down.