Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 12 year old dog that was diagnosed with diabetes

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old dog that was diagnosed with diabetes 1 1/2 years ago. She gets 2 cups w/d 2x's per day. Her insulin levels were under control until around the end of December. About 3 weeks ago, we dropped her insulin from 12 units 2x daily to 7 units 2xs daily. She was having a Somogyi response and had lows in the 80s and highs around 600. Recently, she has had BG levels from 338 fasting to 668 after a meal. Tested every hour today and numbers were all around 500-550. After dinner, she was at 668 one hour after eating/injection (7 units vetsulin). It is also important to note she's lost 10 lbs since December and currently weighs 39 lbs. She should weigh about 50 lbs. She is under the care of a vet we really like, but any insight you can provide is appreciated. Thank you, Erin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like they needed to drop the dose down, but they dropped it a little too much. I would increase it to 9 units and give the body 2 weeks to equilibrate. After that time, I would do another glucose curve and see where the highs and lows are. If the lows are < 80, then I would drop it down to 8 units. If the lows are > 80 and the highs are > 300, then I would up it to 10 units. Somewhere in the 8-11 unit range is likely where she'll end up. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, thank you, I'll try the dosage you recommended and adjust accordingly. (I was thinking she wasn't getting enough insulin so that helps.). I've heard some owners have had success with Novolin over Vetsulin. What is your experience with these?
You're welcome. Personally, I use Novolin (aka Humulin-N or NPH) over vetsulin. If I'm not getting a good response, Vetsulin is my 2nd choice.