Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog is approaching 18 years old he is a chichua ***** *****

Customer Question

my dog is approaching 18 years old he is a chichua ***** ***** mix. He doesn't have any appetite today and is licking his paws. he cannot get out of bed unless we lift him outside to go potty.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. It sounds like he may have a bit of an upset stomach- that is a common cause of decreased appetite and licking. If you want to give him something at home, you can give Famotidine (Pepcid)- 5 mg every 12-24 hours. If that doesn't help at all, you should get him to a vet and get some bloodwork run. That will help determine the underlying cause and whether or not it's curable. There are a lot of things that can cause decreased appetite and lethargy. A full work up would be really helpful here. Let me know if you have any other questions.