Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I'm just wondering why when placing my hand on my dogs

Customer Question

Hi, I'm just wondering why when placing my hand on my dogs head, back or side that her body responds by heating up to a point where she feels feverish in the area touched within a few seconds. Her nose consistently cold and she seems quite healthy.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. Please give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Friend, a dog's normal body temperature is between 99.5-102.5 F; ours is 98.6. So, when you touch her basically you are feeling her body being hotter than yours, this is normal. The only way to rule in a fever is by taking a rectal temperature. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its just that when touching her, her temperature rises dramatically in the area touched..the change is so fast.
Even if I take my hand away the area remains hot..then subsides in a few seconds.
I've never noticed this before with any animal.
Friend, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to comment.