Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog fell down the stairs about 3 hours ago. And then had

Customer Question

My dog fell down the stairs about 3 hours ago. And then had a seizure ( has history of seizures) he is limping but no mosning or crying.. Still walking around and walking up & down stairs- good spirits. But article says he shouldn't still have a limp after 5 minutes of the fall...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's an 8 ye Oops He's an 8yr old male Yorkie. Approx 17lbs They were basement stairs that he never climbed before The seizure was short ( 34 seconds). He's eaten, jumped up & down and climbed the (regular) house stairs multiple times since the fall
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its his right front paw that he fell on
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Sorry for the long wait. I'm not sure what article said the lameness should go away that fast, but that's not a realistic expectation. Most dogs that have a mild soft tissue injury will be back walking normal within 5-7 days. I wouldn't expect it to be back to normal within 24 hours. To help with the lameness, you could speak with your vet about starting an anti-inflammatory med like Rimadyl or Metacam. If he were not using the leg at all, then I would want x-rays. As long as he can put weight on it, it should resolve with rest and pain management. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello. He is no longer limping and remains in good spirits... Should i still take him to the Vet?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
If he's walking normally and acting well, I wouldn't worry about getting an exam. If the lameness returns, get him seen at that time.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?