Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Roni and my dog JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

Roni and my dog
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's a silly terrier and he is losing weight, losing hair and it's dry and flaky.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I apologize no expert has been in to assist you yet today and that your little guy is having these issues. I definitely would advise doing some basic bloodwork to rule out metabolic causes of hair loss including a low thyroid function, cushing's disease, or gi disease. In the meanwhile:- A high quality organic diet with no by products because this can effect his metabolism therefore weight as well as coat- Fish oil 500-750 mg EPA & DHA daily but this may take 4-6 weeks to see improvement- Regular baths in an oatmeal-based dog shampoo with ten minute contact time but this may initially cause increased hair loss as he sheds the unhealthy coat and a new one begins to fill in...I hope this helps gives you a direction to begin getting his coat more healthy as well as maintaining weight but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will I receive another answer?
Would you like to speak to another expert? Or do you have additional questions?
Weight loss with a dry flakey coat is a very general symptom of something else going on with the body and further diagnostics are often necessary to provide answers as to cause. The information I have provided can help in cases where this is not metabolic in nature and I have seen positive results with this protocol but if you are not happy with my answers I am happy to opt out to allow another expert to assist you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also forgot his symptom of mushy poop.
That can be an indicator of stress to the body but can mean that there is an issue with the gastrointestinal tract so a fecal evaluation to rule out parasites or bacterial alterations is advisedYou can add white rice to his food and reduce his normal diet by 25% to help solidify his food for now

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman