Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have just recently bought a new puppy and since this morning

Customer Question

I have just recently bought a new puppy and since this morning she wont eat her food or drink and has been having loose stools and sickness, is this normal? Or should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!First, congratulations on your new addition! I hope you have many happy years together! I imagine when you say sickness you are indicating she is vomiting? If she has diarrhea and vomiting then yes this is concerning as puppies this age simply do not have the reserves of an adult dog and can become very ill rapidly... First, please remove the food and water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is he needs to drink to maintain hydration but if she is actively vomiting even water he is becoming more dehydrated with water intake. Again if she is a small breed puppy that is vomiting for whatever reason can become very ill quickly because he simply doesn't have the reserves of an adult dog so vomiting can be quite exhausting... There is a potential for this being viral, bacterial, or unknown at this point with a young puppy.If there is no improvement then please consider having her seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control and prevent further dehydration and lethargy 1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode. Apply a very thin layer with your fingertip of karo syrup to the gums. Not enough to swallow but to maintain glucose levels until we can begin feeding again. Repeat in four hours2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours in 6-8 hours3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian or veterinary er perform an examination to determine the next step to getting him comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is. Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. I hope your little boy is feeling better soonIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your puppy doing? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman