How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11131
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are dogsitting our friends King Charles spaniel and she

Customer Question

We are dogsitting our friends King Charles spaniel and she went outside and found a small green apricot. I'm not sure if she or squirrels knawed on it—we have squirrels which do. She came in the house with the about 1" small knawed apricot with the pit cracked open and it looks like part of the seed missing. What should I do. I know apricot pits are poisonous but now sure if she or a squirrel at it.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I definitely understand your concerns because this can be a potentially dangerous situation. Pet poison hotline lists: Poisonous to: ***** ***** of toxicity: Generally mild to moderateCommon signs to watch for: Dilated pupilsDifficulty breathingInadequate oxygen levelsBright red gumsShockDeath The seeds, leaves, and stems of the apricot tree contain cyanide. This toxin inhibits cytochrome oxidase, an enzyme necessary for cellular oxygen transport, preventing appropriate oxygen uptake by cells. When ingested in toxic amounts, clinical signs of dilated pupils, difficulty breathing, inadequate oxygen levels, bright red gums, shock, and death can be seen.So I would be monitoring her very closely the next hour for any symptoms above, in particular the dilated pupils and changes in respiratory rate but if there are any hesitations it would be best to have her seen asap at a veterinary er to ensure that she is not showing any issues that require immediate treatment. Is it possible the squirrel ingested the apricot and this is of little concern? Yes that is possible but the risk that this is not the case is there and I would hate for anything to happen to Zoey if actions were not taken sooner rather than laterI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Zoey doing? I would love an update when you are able...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!