Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

There. So Friday night our dog seemed fine, we fed him,

Customer Question

Hi there. So Friday night our dog seemed fine, we fed him, then a few hours later he started vomiting, many times...included red flecks, mucus, and food...we rode it out. He seemed fine yesterday-normal behavior, i gave him chicken and rice, and he seemed fine. Today seemed ok, then several hours ago started vomiting again, and there is red in his vomit, also sometimes yellow, and food. He has also had diarrhea since friday night as well. Now he is acting very strange, breathing almost sounds like he's growling when he's breathing, and acting very listless and strange. I am very worried. We do not have a vet anywhere near us that is open today. After looking online, it seems his symptoms look like gastritis maybe?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: yellow lab, almost 7 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)2. dietary indiscretion3. foreign body obstruction4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)5. organ/ endocrine abnormality6. cancer in older dogsWe typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.This is what I would do for now to manage it at home:1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). For the diarrhea, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.