Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Lady. Bad breath JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

Lady. Bad breath
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dogs breath smells like urine she ate 3-5 grapes while I was in the bathroom a couple of weeks ago do you think it's related to kidney failure
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How are her teeth? 2- How much does she weigh? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her teeth are small a tad bit yellow but not any more then they normally are her gums are normal no swelling She's a Yorkie she's 8 pounds no other symptoms her breath just stinks
Friend, if she ate the grapes a couple of weeks ago and you are not seeing other symptoms like: Drinking more than usual, lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, etc. she is not in renal failure. In addition, highly unlikely for 3-5 grapes to cause renal failure in a 8 lbs dog.One of the most common causes for bad breath is dental disease. In the absence of dental disease a common cause for halitosis is an imbalance of friendly vs unfriendly bacteria in the oral cavity and digestive tract. You see, it is the fermentation of unfriendly bacteria that give rise to the bad odor. I would recommend a hands on examination by family vet, she may need to have her teeth cleaned. In the meantime this is what you can try:1- Supplement with a probiotic (friendly bacterias) like Fortiflora, you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online; she needs to be on it for no less than 2-3 weeks before seeing significant improvement. You can keep her on it long term. 2- Rinse her mouth with C.E.T. Chlorhexidine mouthwash for dogs/cats; you can buy this over the counter in any pet store or online.3- Finally you can also try to brush her teeth 2-3 times a week. Make sure you use dog tooth paste. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She also ate garlic spread
When did she eat the garlic?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also a couple of days ago no signs of anything out of the ordinary except maybe she scratches a little more then usual and she lickes the pillows but that could be completely unrelated
Friend, I don't believe this is related to the garlic either especially if she is not showing any symptoms. Please reply if you have additional questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter