Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a ten year old Dutch Shepard Akita mix. He is always

Customer Question

I have a ten year old Dutch Shepard Akita mix. He is always very active but today he is having trouble standing, will not eat to include raw meat. He will drink water if I hold it in front of him or cup it in my hand. His nose is dry and cool to the touch. My vet cannot see him until Wednesday. He seems to have a slight bloat when laying down. I have carried him to my pole barn to rest on his carpet/pillow and keep him out of the heat. Is there anything I can give him to feel better? He is not making any sound as if in pain but was panting heavily before I placed him in the pole barn on his carpet. He is now by
Resting without panting so he has cooled down I think.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Prior to this happening did he have problems with his legs like getting up from the floor or going up stairs? 2- How long has he had the bloat? 3- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 4- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No problems in his legs until today. I did check his gums they are pink. The bloat was noticed this morning. I have gotten him to drink and he has gradually began to eat T-bone steak from earlier. He is now starting to move a little but still unstable on his rear legs. His spine seems much more pronounced than it ever has been. Ian a state trooper but this dog was not a service dog although he likes to ride anytime he can. I was unable to check his temp
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when we see a quick onset of back leg weakness or loss of motor function this is usually the result of neuromuscular disorders like: A pinched nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc, hip disorders, fractures, etc. However, sometimes we can also see weakness of the extremities with systemic diseases. If you are seeing abdominal swelling this will point more toward a systemic disease like: Tumors, ascites (fluid in the abdomen), etc. So, in this case on history alone it will be very difficult to determine the exact underlying cause. Unfortunately we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend walking in with him as an emergency to your vet's office, this should not wait until Wednesday. It is important to rule out abdominal disorders as mentioned above. Plus, if this is related to a pinched nerve it is extremely important to start him on prescription anti inflammatory medication or this could lead to paralysis. I am certain your vet will not be upset in seeing him as an emergency, he/she will understand, this is what we do. Do Not give over the counter pain killers most are toxic to dogs and will interfere with certain medications your vet may want to use. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Hi Lonie L. Slisher,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tank. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter