Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog was hit in the eye with a tennis ball last night. She

Customer Question

My dog was hit in the eye with a tennis ball last night. She cried out but then continued playing and was acting normal, she was just squinting a bit. Today she has some discharge coming from her eye and is squinting excessively (barely keeps it open) and the white of her eye is larger than normal. No noticeable swelling.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy, 20 months old.
JA: How old is Daisy, 20 Months Old?
Customer: Yes
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy, 20 Months Old?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I can give you some basic guidelines for today but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or since the white of the eye appears to be swollen. - Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye. Not solution but flush- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and allow your pet to rest more comfortably - A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb and provide relief on an as needed basisIf flushing has not improved the eye then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure there is not a corneal ulcer that requires medical therapy or another condition that is causing the eye to close/ squint due to pain.Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!