Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Older dog has an open sore on end of his snout and has had

Customer Question

Older dog has an open sore on end of his snout and has had for years. Nothing we do seems to help. Vet said it was lupus from a rabies shot. Need help.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Would a picture help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog's nose. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. If this is lupus, then using doxycycline or minocycline (prescription pills) or tacrolimus ointment (also a prescription) should help. The treatment is for life; if either of these help, you have to keep up the treatment or the lesions come back. Only a veterinarian who has seen and examined him can get you prescription medication. Let me know what other questions you have, and if this was helpful.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?