Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

My dogs are throwing up and lethargic. I brought some treats

Customer Question

My dogs are throwing up and lethargic. I brought some treats hat they have not had for several months. I was concerned that they may have been poisoned, they bark a lot when outside and chase the neighbor dogs up and down the fence.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 months ago.
Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Most likely your guys have a digestive disturbance caused by the treats that they are not used to. If this is minor, which it sounds like, follow these instructions: Fast your guys for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.Give them Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)If the vomiting and lethargy have resolved, then wean them back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your dogs to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as an intestinal obstruction or infection. Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****