Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 25-28 lb. Shetland Sheepdog injured a rear leg while ATTEMPTING

Customer Question

Our 25-28 lb. Shetland Sheepdog injured a rear leg while ATTEMPTING to catch squirrels. (currently satisfied it is not hip dysplasia, etc., because after a full night's sleep her condition is substantially improved) We formerly bred, trained and successfully exhibited, at the national level, German Shepherd Dogs. So, we are at least somewhat knowledgeable. My question: Can I administer an off the counter pain relief med until I can get her to our veterinarian which cannot occur until Monday at the earliest? Standing By. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry Lilly is in pain! The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox. Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.You can also do a few other things including warm and cool compresses to the leg in 10 minute intervals. Warm will increase circulation while cool will aid in numbing the area. In addition doing massage from toes to hip in circular pattern and then with each pass a little more pressure if she will allow itI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today, I hope Lilly is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!