Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My name is***** dog is 7 yrs old a yorkiepoo. He keeps

Customer Question

My name is***** dog is 7 yrs old a yorkiepoo. He keeps coughing and white foam comes our of his mouth. He wont eat or drink anyrhing
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He wont eat or drink anything not even his fav. Snack ham. White foam comes our of his mouth and he is justo laying down.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well. There are some home remedies that can help reduce the cough and give relief1.) The steam of the shower when the cough is severe or constant2.) A little honey three times daily can help soothe the lungs3.) If you have a humidifier or nebulizer that would also be wonderful to use in this situationUnfortunately I prefer to avoid cough suppressants because when suppressing a cough if there is phlegm or buildup and lead to bronchitis or even pneumonia if the material is not coughed up so this is not something I tend to administer.I hope this information makes sense! My concern is his size and the fact that the cough is productive, he is lethargic with a reduced appetite so if there is no improvement within the next 4-6 hours then it would be best to have a veterinary exam to ensure antibiotics are not warranted and we are not dealing with a lower respiratory tract infection such as pneumoniaAs a precaution since he is not interested in food please apply a small amount of karo syrup along his gumline. Not enough to swallow but just with your fingertip so it is absorbed by the gums to maintain his glucose being a small breed dogPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!