Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

7 year old chocolate lab has stopped eating...3.5 weeks ago.

Customer Question

7 year old chocolate lab has stopped eating...3.5 weeks ago. We have changed dry food brand, wet food, yogurt, chicken and beef broth, wet food, canned food. Blood, urine and feces all came back normal. Ultra sound did not show any blockages or obstructions. Teeth, gums and throat are good. Exploritory surgery show nothing either although we are waiting for the results of the cultures. He has lost 20 pound. I am afraid he will not snap back from this. Any ideas because I just don't know what to do.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: We also tried an appetite stimulate. We are on our 3rd vet and don't know what to do anymore Since the surgery 4 days ago he is on 2 pain medications and 2 antibioctics. An anacid and anti neasea. So far prayers have not been answered.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I, too, would need to wait for the results of biopsies and cultures taken during his exploratory surgery. I would like to review his blood and urine tests, however. I not only revew the test results but note which tests should have been performed but weren't. Can you upload a copy of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but his vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon above your message box (if you can see the icon) or by using an external app such as