How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15397
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 21 pound dog ate chocolate while we were gone. We induced

Customer Question

My 21 pound dog ate chocolate while we were gone. We induced vomiting and she has thrown up three times. Pooped three times.we bought activated charcoal. She ate the candy some time between 6:30 and 8:30
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Two snack size packs of mini m and m ,two or three of Hershey miniature bars. A single little kit kat
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your pup eating some milk chocolate. When you induced vomiting did she vomit the chocolate?I understand that she ate the chocolate sometime between 6:30 and 8:30. I am in the PST time zone, and it is 10 pm here. What time is it where you are?A 20 pound pup would need to eat roughly 3 ounces of milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 6 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.M & M's mini snack sized bags are usually 1/2 of an ounce, and aren't all chocolate. If she ate 2 then that is 1 ounce.Likewise 2-3 Hershey's fun sized are 1/2 ounce each and total would be 1 & 1/2 ounce1 Kit Kat would be 1/2 ounce, but only about 1/2 of that is milk chocolate so 1/4 ounce.So it appears she ate a little less than 2 & 3/4 ounces of milk chocolate. That means this amount should not be toxic for a 21 pound dog.You induced vomiting and if you were successful in getting her to vomit some out that makes it even less likely that she got a toxic amount. Unless she ate much more than you think she did, or she is very sensitive, she should be fine. I would not give any activated charcoal.At this point I would simply watch her for further symptoms now.Just in case she ate more than you think I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours. It may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms. If she still seems at all nauseous to try and settle hers stomach you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of 1/2 of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours (1/2 is fine for a 21 pound dog)OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours (1/4 is fine for a 21 pound dog)These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed. Then after her 12 hour food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently. If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.Best of luck with your girl, let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are at the vet now. She was shaking and we weren't sure if it was that she was nervous seeing us upset. She was warm and also her heart was beating fast. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
I understand that she was showing some worrisome symptoms. It is always best to have her checked if you aren't sure that things are going as they should. Her shaking and fast heart rate could certainly have been related to chocolate toxicity, but could have been related to anxiety or feeling weak or nauseous from vomiting earlier.Best of luck with your little one.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara