How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 19152
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dog ate a bottle of human Vitamin d 5000IU per pill

Customer Question

dog ate a bottle of human Vitamin d 5000IU per pill
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello Michele, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience of treating dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How much does Skye weigh { In pounds } ? 2. How many of these tablets did she take? 3. How long ago did this happen, how may minutes or hours ago? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Skye 10 years old. It was a bottle.of 150 softballs and I there were probably about 130 in the bottle. She ate them within.the last 3 hours
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry she us 75 pounds.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. So the total amount she swallowed was { 130 X 5000 iu } = 650,000 iu Vitamin D 2. Vitamin D can be very toxic to dogs, I personally start to be concerned when a dog takes more than 4,000 iu per kg of bodyweight { = 1,811 iu per pound of bodyweight } So the toxic dose for your dog would be { 75 pounds X 1811 iu } = 135,825 iu. 3. So from the above clearly the amount she swallowed is an overdose and this is a potentially serious situation. As with a great many toxins if you can induce vomiting to recover the vitamin D within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the very outside } then things should be OK. A commonly used way to induce vomiting in the dog is with 3% hydrogen peroxide { Not hair colouring peroxide } A usual oral dose is one teaspoon { 5 ml } per 10 pounds of body weight. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes but if no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the process a second time.4. But if you fail to induce vomiting or have any doubt that you carried this out within the first couple of hours after ingestion then you will need your vet involved ASAP as supportive care such as IV fluids may be necessary, and there are drugs which can be used to prevent further absorption of the ingested vitamin D if given early enough. 5. Where your dog is in an overdose situation you might expect to see symptoms start some 12 - 48 hours after ingestions and these could include vomiting, dark diarrhoea containing blood, lethargy, inappetance and drooling in the early stages. Later symptoms could include marked weight loss and seizures. Fatalities are possible where very large amounts have been ingested.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello again Michele,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the vitamin D incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.