Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I just found ticks on my dog he is a 75lb 2yr old black

Customer Question

Hi I just found ticks on my dog he is a 75lb 2yr old black lab I removed all the ones I could find which were 3 big tan ones that were about 1/3-1/2 in long and 8 really small brown/red ones and bathed him in a tick bath. My main concern is he may have contracted some sort of des ease from them I plan on going to the vet on Monday and getting blood work done on him what else do you recommend I do
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I only found them on his neck and two small ones on the inside of his ear but near the edge do you think any may have gotten inside his actual ears?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also on avg how much does blood work at the vet usually cost?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I recommend that you wait 30 days from now before testing him. It takes that long for our tests to be accurate about his exposure to tick-borne diseases. His vet knows which tick-borne infections are present where you live. The three we can test for in-house in just 10 minutes are Lyme, Ehrlichia, and Anaplasma. I can't know what you'll be charged but I suspect that an office call and that "snap-test" will cost ~$100. Always ask for a written estimate before anything is done!Fever and lameness are the usual symptoms of tick-borne infections and those symptoms can arise 15-30 days after exposure. In most cases, however, even if infected most dogs remain asymptomatic. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is an inside dog I guess my question is is it okay for me to let him stay inside or should I wait it out? How can I be sure that I removed all the ticks or that are no longer on him?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you recommend I buy some type of treatment for the house?
I don't see a reason not to allow him in the house if only because he's likely to pick up more ticks the more time he spends outside. A tick product needs to be administered as soon as possible. That's how you make sure that no ticks remain on him. Over the counter fipronil-containing products such as Frontline or Certifect, or prescription products available through his vet such as Bravecto, Nexgard, or Vectra 3D should be considered. You can treat your house with fipronil-containing sprays as per the label's instructions. The over the counter products are available in pet/feed stores as well as online. Please continue our conversation if you wish.