Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is 10 years old. Mixed breed Australian Shepard. He

Customer Question

My dog is 10 years old. Mixed breed Australian Shepard. He has had two back surgeries for crushed spine. He has a slight limp, but in the past several weeks, his back leg is turned in and he is limping more pronounced. I don't know who to take him to for help. Please advise. Rehab was done after both surgeries for several months (underwater treadmill, swimming, etc).
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I I am worried about his back leg turning in. He seems to be sensitive when I touch it but he is willing to walk at a moment's notice. He has a hard time getting up and down.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry that your dog has been through so much!I would start with a recheck with your regular vet to see if he needs to be reinstituted on pain medication or if he is still currently on them then adjusting his dose. I also would consult with the rehab specialist about the new finding with his leg. I too have had two back surgeries and have lost some sensation in one of my legs so walk with a limp and inward turn. Physical therapy can help to aid in strengthening this new finding but first and foremost getting him back on pain medication to ensure he doesn't injure himself in the process but also maintain his comfort while we retrain his muscles to work differently againI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman