Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My little 4 month old shin tzu was spayed yesterday, she did

Customer Question

My little 4 month old shin tzu was spayed yesterday, she did pretty good last night, she ate well and plenty of water and pain med but today, she has gone completely wild thrashing about, nearly killed herself with that cone protector, trying to get at her incision. the pai maed does'nt seem to affect her today. I try to let her out of her kennel it is the safest place for her. She has not peed hardly today nor has she pooped that I can tell, because I had trouble before of her eating her poop any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about poor Mahogany. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. What is the pain medication that you have? Is she eating? Is she thrashing because of pain, do you think, or because of the cone? I might try seeing how she does without the cone. If you can get a small T-shirt and put it on her backwards (hind legs through the arm holes and tail through the neck hole and fasten the shirt with a tie or rubber band to take up the slack) you can cover the incision without a cone. Some pet stores sell inflatable donut type collars that could keep her from licking without the cone. Tell me her weight, and what pain medication you have and if she is eating.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 months ago.
How is Mahogany today? I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.