Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

My dog lays down and then lifts his up in the air. he

Customer Question

my dog lays down and then lifts his butt up in the air. he has been vomiting and pooping a lot. what could this mean
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: he woke one morning he starting eating grass profusely and then vomiting, would not eat and was lethargic. laying down and putting his butt in the air
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Can you tell me his age, and breed? When dogs take a "praying position" with the front half on the floor and the rear end raised, it can mean they have pain in the abdomen. Pancreatitis is one of the most common reason for causing this type of pain, and pancreatitis can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. If he is over 4 years (we don't see pancreatitis in young dogs usually) or if he ate anything unusual in the last few days (especially something high in fat, such as ham or pork or "junk food"), pancreatitis is possible. Sometimes, however, we see pancreatitis for no apparent reason. The treatment for pancreatitis is injections for pain and nausea (we have to give injection because oral medication often is just vomited back up), and IV fluids for dehydration. Check his gums; do they look pink in color or are they pale? If they are pale, this is very worrying to me and he should probably see a veterinarian soon. You can try famotidine (Pepcid AC) for vomiting, 5 mg per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight, but if it does not stay down I would not try to keep giving pills. Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is your dog today? I hope you were able to see what I wrote! Let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer any more of your questions.