How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14861
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My pit is one year old and she has been vomiting since

Customer Question

My pit bull is one year old and she has been vomiting since last night lantana leaves and a yellow saliva. Her ears are very pink and she looks very sad. Vet is closed and I don't want to give her pepto because the nature reaction of the body,get rid of whatever is bothering the stomach. What do you recommend.. I gave her Gatorade blue as fluids. Can I give her ginger ail?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your pup ingesting Lanatana plants (Lantana montevidensis) and now vomiting plant leaves and bile. All parts of plants in the Lantana family are toxic for dogs according the ASPCA as well as the University of Florida data base of toxic plants.Lantana plants, flowers and berries have the toxins Pentacyclic triterpenoids. These toxins cause vomiting, diarrhea, labored breathing, and weakness. They can cause liver failure and although this is more commonly seen in large animals (cows, goats ect) if she ate enough of the plant, especially over a long period of time, it is a possibility with her. Since her vomiting has persisted over a long period of time I don't think it is any longer a productive process, rather it is only dehydrating her. I understand that she is drinking, but if it coming right back up that won't be beneficial for her.At this point if her regular veterinarian isn't available an emergency clinic may be best. Although she did eat the plants it is impossible to say that is the whole problem. Dogs often eat plants because they feel nauseous from other causes. It's possible that eating the plants only made things worse for her.In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors. More serious causes of vomiting at this age include toxin ingestions, viral or bacterial infections, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), or a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction. In a young dog, especially if she never finished her vaccine series, a viral infection such as Parvo virus, toxin ingestion (including plants), or a foreign body leading to a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction would be the most likely cause. Because she is vomiting even water ideally she would see a veterinarian now. If that isn't possible for whatever reason there are some things we can try at home, but if she's not improving quickly she should see a veterinarian for an examination, some diagnostic testing, intravenous fluids and injectable medication to settle her stomach. To try and settle her stomach at home you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers and may help settle her stomach and get her feeling better and hopefully get her appetite back. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. You can also offer ice cubes to lick. To get some electrolytes in you can offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. Gatorade tends to be too high in sugar which can only further irritate her stomach, so I don't recommend it. If there is no vomiting for 12 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it, she needs veterinary care. But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet. If he continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or has a lower then normal temperature (less then 99F), has a tense painful belly or if he refuses to eat he should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Caramel Hope Feild. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****