Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog recently diagnosed with immune mediated anemia had a

Customer Question

my dog recently diagnosed with immune mediated anemia had a transfusion and is on meds. she has been doing very well. then started getting blood clots which went away and then I found a long worm in her poop this morning
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Chiquita is almost 6
JA: How old is Chiquita?
Customer: almost 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chiquita?
Customer: I also found a bump on her chest that looks like its filled with puss
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
The long worm is a roundworm if it's cylindrical or a tapeworm if it's flat and segmented. You can worm Chiquita with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate now and again in two weeks if it's a roundworm or an over the counter product containing praziquantel just once if it's a tapeworm. You can find these wormers in pet/feed stores. The bump on her chest needs to be investigated by her vet. If it is filled with pus it needs to be lanced and flushed with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine. It may be filled with sebaceous (oily) exudate, instead, and in that case (an epidermoid cyst is most likely) can be left alone as long as it doesn't bother Chiquita or you. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is it possible that the worm caused a misdiagnosis of immune mediated anemia
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
and there is blood in her poop is it normal with worms
No, I don't any relationship between the two. These worms are present in ~50% of our pets some time during their life. Yes, hematochezia (blood in the stool) can be seen with gastrointestinal parasites. Hookworms (which wouldn't be the long worm you saw but still could be present in Chiquita), whipworms (same story), coccidia (unlikely at her age), and Giardia (a protozoan parasite) are the most common causing hematochezia. Roundworms occasionally cause hematochezia. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?