Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our little dog died Thursday 4 am. Our son who owns the dog

Customer Question

Our little dog died Thursday 4 am. Our son who owns the dog wants a neropsy done We were told by one vet they could not do it till Monday and that was too late. How long do we have to get the body neucropsied?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. Just as with people, it is ideal to do a necropsy as soon after death as possible. This is to make sure we are only seeing genuine changes that could have caused death and not those due to bacteria, decay, and break down post passing. As well, fresh tissues are needed if we did want to collect samples for microscopic analysis (histology).Still, if your lad's body refrigerated since he passed in a chill or even frozen, it could be still examined on Monday. Histology would not be possible and some changes may have to be disregarded, but if there was a very obvious cause of death (ie liver cirrhosis, a perforation of the gut, tumor, etc); then this could still be found and therefore it would still be worthwhile in trying to help you determine why he passed and gain closure for this.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )