Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.

My miniature schnauzer has just started to change her lovely

Customer Question

My miniature schnauzer has just started to change her lovely coat to a wirery brown. It is like someone has almost fitted a funny shaped coat on her back. I spoke to the vet but she couldn't help me. I am so worried.,she is so loving and obedient and was a beautiful salt and pepper. She is now 4 years old what an I do please.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your schnauzer. I'm so sorry you've had to wait for an expert with schnauzer experience to come online, but I'm here now. Are you still looking for an answer? I'm happy to discuss this phenomenon with you.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
I will be going offline shortly, but will look for a reply from you later. Meanwhile, I want to let you know that - even though you're presently heartbroken over this change in your beautiful girl's appearance - it's not likely to be the result of any type of medical problem. Simply put, it's very common for schnauzers to change color over their lifetimes. It's normal, and it happens all the time. Many of the show dogs you see have their coats "stripped", a labor-intensive process of plucking out the hairs of the undesirable color to allow the desired color type to show through. I'm glad you had her checked out at the vet to make sure this isn't anything medical. That was the right thing to do. In the meantime, if you're not a fan of this new rusty color, I can offer you the hope that it will be temporary too.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
As a final note, you may wish to do some research on "schnauzer aurotrichia". This is a harmless condition where parts of a schnauzer's coat will turn completely golden. The cause is not known and there isn't anything that can be done about it, but at least it isn't harmful.Please also remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how things are going with your schnauzer. Do you have any additional questions for me?Thank you,Dr. Jo