Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My black lab drinks a lot of water and pees more often.. like

Customer Question

my black lab drinks a lot of water and pees more often.. like he cant hold it, like he always had.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?Does his urine seem watery or more dilute?When does he tend to have accidents? While in bed/laying down?Does he pass large or small volumes?Any weight loss or appetite changes?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he always eats.. pees in the am when we get up. he has always waited till I shower and get dressed to go out. but if I look like I'm going near the door. he gets up and he has to go. then so if I don't hurry and open the door he will pee as he is waiting.. and he will pee if around food time. he knows to go out and sometimes he will try to let me know, he is outside while I'm gone inside when I'm home, and he has never never peeed in the house always outside.. . ... the water thing is when he drinks he will drink a lot.. its not like he will drink all the time .. a little weight loss my be due to age. been going on for about 90 days..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, Now the reason for my range of questions is because there are a number of health issues that can cause urinary accidents like those you have reported in the older dog. This includes bladder based issues (ie bladder or kidney infections, bladder stones, urinary crystals, bladder tumors, etc) but also can involve other organ systems. Specifically, we can see urinary accidents with age related issues like arthritis and dementia but also with diseases like organ dysfunction (ie liver, kidneys, heart) and metabolic diseases (ie diabetes, Cushing's, Addisons, hypercalcemia, etc). Now since he is conscious of the need to go but unable to hold his urine when delayed access to the garden, this does narrow down those aforementioned differentials. Specifically, we'd be most concerned of early stage organ and metabolic disease for Buddy. All of these will increase thirst (which may not be apparent if he has always drank well without measuring his water intake) and cause increased urine production. And as our dogs are used to having to go on a normal routine, this sudden increase in urine out put often catches them off guard as it is doing here with your lad.So, with those medical differentials being the most likely here, I would say that it'd be ideal to have a check up with his vet at this stage. If he is due for a booster soon, you might want to consider moving that appointment up. Otherwise, you could consider collecting a urine sample to submit for testing. Urine samples are good non-invasive ways of ruling out quite a few health issues. For example, in practice testing will tell us if the urine has white blood cells (a marker of infection, which is good to rule out since it is so commonly seen secondary to diabetes), crystals, bladder tumor cells, and the presence of glucose/ketones (markers of diabetes). Furthermore, they can check the urine specific gravity to check on his kidney function. So, that would be a good non-invasive means of ruling out some of these concerns for him. And depending on the findings, this economical test would let you determine if these are issues or if they can be ruled out. Of course, you could also have his take a blood sample. This is a very valuable tool in these situations since they do let us appreciate how the organs are function and whether there is any hint of those metabolic diseases or organ disease. Overall, based on your history and the characteristics of his accidents this makes issues like dementia, arthritis, or the very common bladder infection less likely in Buddy's case. Therefore, it does raise concerns about an underlying internal issue being to blame. And with these in mind, it would be prudent to at least have a urine sample tested and/or have his vet examine him. That way you can pinpoint which of these is our culprit and address the issue for him before it can progress leading to more accidents or any further deterioration in Buddy's health. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for your help... ill have him see the vet on tue... you were very helpful. ill let you know the out come
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.I do think that sounds like a perfect plan of action and please do let me know how you get on. :)All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (There is no extra charge for this nor doesn't end our conversation). Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Buddy. How is everything going?