Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My yellow lab who is 12 just started laryngeal paralysis what

Customer Question

my yellow lab who is 12 just started laryngeal paralysis what should be done
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Did your vet just diagnose this situation with Buster? Did they run any blood work on him?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went to his annual appt. last week, and he was very agitated please they tried to take blood for his heart worm test, and he wouldn;t let them. He than started breathing very heavy and she asked me if he ever did that, and I said no , because he didn't. The vet said that its that. Last night he got excited, and breathed like that today.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for that information. Typically laryngeal paralysis is heavily suspected based on the "roaring" type of sound that gets produced when they breath harder or are excited. It sounds like a persistent snore almost. As far as what should be done, honestly, these are challenging cases to decide what to do. If your vet highly suspected a laryngeal paralysis situation, they should draw blood and do testing for hypothyroidism. This can be found with some that have it, but a lot don't have it. Those dogs that have laryngeal paralysis are honestly managed in a lot of cases medically. They are kept out of situations where they can get excited and breath harder and possibly overheat. Those dogs that are having a lot of difficulty breathing and are more prone to overheating, those are the ones that are discussed as being surgical candidates. Surgery is to tie back one of the laryngeal folds and it opens up the air way so they can breath with ease. The frustration is that now the trachea isn't protected as well and they are at a much increased risk for aspiration pneumonia. Here is a great link on all this.