Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has fluid build up in her abdomen feet and rear hawk.

Customer Question

My dog has fluid build up in her abdomen feet and rear hawk. We are waiting for cancer tests results to come up in next day or two. Is there anything we can do in the meantime to reduce the amount of fluid in her abdomen and feet. She is so uncomfortable....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
A simple diuretic such as furosemide (Lasix) can reduce the amount of that fluid. The efficacy of a diuretic, however, will be predicated upon the cause of the abdominal effusion and dependent edema. If right-sided heart failure or hypoalbuminemia (low serum albumin level) is responsible, a diuretic can be helpful. Diuretics are less effective than centesis/drainage at quickly mobilizing the types of fluid seen in heart failure and hypoalbuminemia but may help reduce the rate of re-accumulation medium- to long-term. If the fluid is associated with generalized lymphedema (anasarca), instead, such as might be seen with malignancy, a diuretic will be minimally effective if at all. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.