Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog penis want go completely in JA: Thanks. Can you give

Customer Question

My dog penis want go completely in
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes when I woke up this morning I noticed his penis wasn't completely in and 12 hr later it still the same can tell it's bothering him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! I am so sorry to hear this is happening to your dog! I can give you some basic guidelines to try to reduce this occurrence but if it continues then he should be seen by your veterinarian because this can affect his ability to urinate and can become an emergency.This condition is called paraphimosis or inability to contract the penis. Below is a link to information on this condition in dogs:http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogsRecommendations include:- No licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can result in a urinary tract infection - Using KY jelly or vaseline to lubricate the penis and attempt putting it back into the sheath or prepuce- If this is successful, pinching the foreskin over the penis for a few moments to ensure it doesn't recur- If not successful and the penis is swollen you can use granulated sugar to draw out the moisture then retry the lubrication in hopes of retracting the penisAgain if this continues I would advise a veterinary exam so they can help return the penis to the sheath. If left exposed and not maintain a moist environment it can lead to necrosis or dying of the exposed tissue and in severe cases amputation. I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope this resolves soon... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 15 minutes to assist you both
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This would be good but it is hard to do because he gets very angry can I give something to calm him down
You can try benadryl at 1 mg/ pound. I am sure he is very tender...poor little guy
I am online another 10 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your little one to see if you were able to get his penis to retract? Is he more comfortable? I would love an update when you are able...If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!