Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just came home and my 25lb dog my allergy pills. Wal-Dryl

Customer Question

I just came home and my 25lb dog my allergy pills. Wal-Dryl PE 25mg tablets. Compared to Benadryl-D Allergy. not sure how many he ate 2 possibly 3 ??What should I do?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Wal-Dryl PE 25 Mg Tablets will be able to digest that. How old is Wal-Dryl PE 25 Mg Tablets?
Customer: Bought them last year. Good til 6/16
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wal-Dryl PE 25 Mg Tablets?
Customer: he is on an antibiotic cephalexin right now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How long ago might this have happened, how many hours or minutes ago? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I left around 5:30 and came back home around 8:00 happened during that time
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
my dog is about 9 years old
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. These meds contain Diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg and Phenylephrine HCl 10 mg. The Diphenhydramine is the same as Benadryl and is no problem, it may make your dog a little drowsy for a few hours but I would not expect worse than that. However 30 mg of Phenylephrine could affect your dog adversely, this drug is not suitable for dogs and can cause side effects such as hypersalivation, vomiting, hyperactivity, seizures, hypertention, and cardiac arrythmia's. 2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the Phenylephrine that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK { Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs } 3. However if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherRegards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the WAl-Dry meds ...Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.