Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

Is it normal 14 year old diabetic dog to sleep a lot

Customer Question

"Is it normal for a 14 year old diabetic dog to sleep a lot after a high sugar episode? Although she has diabetes, pancreatitis and mild/borderlined pulmonary hypertension her vet said this morning that she is doing well. She's alert when she's awake and is drinking water just fine. "
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Yes, after a high sugar episode or hyperglycemic episode it will definitely leave her more lethargic especially at her age with her medical conditions. It might be 24 hours before she is more active but she should always be responsive to you and hopefully take a treat as well as be able to get up and go potty during this period
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!