Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 12 yr. Old chihuahua has always been healthy. Recently we

Customer Question

My 12 yr. Old chihuahua has always been healthy. Recently we found out he has a heart murmer/chf. He was put on medication for it and despite his age he is very lively,active and playful chasing kids when outside. He also has stage 4 peridontal disease. Its a long story how that was allowed to happen but i wont get into that. I will say if i hadnt had to have someone else keep him temp. for 2 yrs while i recovered from complications after surgery and having my daughter he would have never had gotten peridontal disease or atleast not to a stage 4. I was a dog groomer and vet tech and always cared for him the way i would myself or a family member. He has lost half his teeth and at the moment im saving money to have them all extracted especialy his carn. Tooth which is cracked. In the mean time he has gotten infections in the mouth from abcess. The vet put him on clindamycin the first time and again this time. The antibiotic doesnt seem to be working as good if at all and yesterday he was shivering alot even under warm covers. Today he isnt doing that any more so than normal but his face is still swollen,maybe more so than yestersay. So ive been researching all day since our vet is closed to find out what i can do to build his immune system up,whaT i can do for pain excruciating pain i know hes experiencing. i have had a tooth abcess before and that was the worst pain ive ever experienced from any illness or from either one of the chronic diseases i have. And mine was just one tooth. His is his whole mouth gums,everything. My poor baby!!! I also need to know what the best nutritional support is for him either supplements or food since he cant chew much. And also if there is amything that i can give him that can relax him enough for me to administer so mouth numbing gel into his mouth as well as get a good look in there without him biting my hand off and hurting himself more.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Also what is a more agressive antibiotic than the clindamycin and do u think the antibiotic will still work as well since hes had it before for the same problem or should i ask his vet for something different and more aggresive. If so what
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry your little guy is not feeling well! I will do my best to answer all your questions but if I miss one please let me know and I will answer any additional questions:- The only safe over the counter pain medication is aspirin. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox. Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.- Nutritional support would be fish oil with 500 mg EPA & DHA daily +/- nutrical which is a nutritional supplement available at your local pet store- Relax would be rescue remedy available at your local vitamin store or benadryl 1 mg/ pound to sedate but I would be hesitant to use the ointment/ cream you listed which is not supported for use in pets- Make sure that his food is lukewarm and moistened/ mushed up for more easy ingestion and at chest level- Clavamox will be more effective for soft tissue as well as bone healing if the clindamycin is not working. Often the clindamycin is enough but in some cases something stronger is neededI hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both todayIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman