Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My names ***** *****. JA: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

Hi my names ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm expecting pups any day now. Bitch on day 58 since mating. This morning at 7 am her temp was 36.7 which is a lot lower than Wednesday's reading of 38.0. I've only got 5 recorded temps so far apart from that one so her average so far is 37.2. Is this the pre whelping drop or am I being paranoid?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
You'll read that a drop below 37.8C indicates parturition within 24 hours but I've learned not to take that as gospel. More important is that 58 days is possible but not an expected gestation length which most often is 62-64 days from ovulation. Due to variability in the time of ovulation compared to the time of standing behavior in the dam and the long time sperm are viable in the female reproductive tract, gestatioin length from a single breeding can range from 58 (bred late), however, to 71 days (bred early).You're not being paranoid...just nicely concerned. Your next concern should be the following: If no puppy is born within 4 hours of the temperature readjusting to normal (greater than 37.8C) dystocia (difficult birth) is suggested and if active stage 2 labor (active contractions) lasts more than an hour without producing a pup dystocia is suggested. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.