Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

We think he had a stroke this morning. He's walking eating

Customer Question

Hi we think he had a stroke this morning. He's walking eating and drinking but face dropping down to one side and he wants me to stay with him
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: The Veterinarian will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Napoleon 10
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I was just browsing for info. I'm not expecting to talk to a vet. But if they want to that's fine
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. It sounds like you may be seeing Vestibular Disease. This is a common disease in older dogs. It looks like a stroke to owners as they have a head tilt and they fall to one side. We think of it like vertigo in people. Their balance and equilibrium is off. The good news is that most dogs will be back to normal within 7-10 days. In a small percentage of dogs, it's a brain tumor. Those dogs don't improve. In the majority, though, they resolve on their own. I typically put them on Meclizine- 25 mg once daily. This is available over the counter. here is a nice link on the condition in dogs: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.