Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate a 20 mil gram of lisinopril JA: I'm sorry to

Customer Question

My dog ate a 20 mil gram of lisinopril
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Olive 10 lb day hound I fed him wet food right after to obsorb the pill
JA: How old is Olive?
Customer: Just over 1 yr
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
Generally dosages below 9 mg/lb cause mild signs only, most commonly vomiting and lethargy. Olive ingested 20 mg/10 lbs which is just 2 mg/lb. I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. Peak levels of this drug occur ~ 4 hours after dosing and any adverse effects, then, should be short lasting. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So this 20milgram/12.5 lisinopril-hctz will not hurt her and just wait it out
Correct. I might dose a dog with 1 mg/lb of hydrochlorothiazide and so 12.5 mg is safe for Olive. You're likely to see the expected diuretic effect of hydrochlorothiazide, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So the combination of 20mg/12.5 lisinopril hctz 1 pill will not do anything and wait it out thanks
Our messages appeared to cross. Here's what I posted prior to your last post: "Correct. I might dose a dog with 1 mg/lb of hydrochlorothiazide and so 12.5 mg is safe for Olive. You're likely to see the expected diuretic effect of hydrochlorothiazide, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish."