Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 9 yr. old

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr. old female dog who recently started taking Relion Novolin N Inj. of 12 units twice a day and now her eyes are always closed and if she opens them, she has a fogged look to her eyes and she bumps into everything now. Drinks a lot of water and just lays around more the usual. Is this suppose to happen or what do we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
How much does Mocha weight, please? She appears to be unregulated (underdosed if she's pitbull/lab size) and the "fogged look" suggests cataract formation which has led to her loss of vision. Cataracts, however, don't cause swelling and so another disease process involving her eyes (conjunctivitis?) needs to be considered.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mocha weight is 50 lbs. i guess, don't have a way to check it for sure.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just found out Mocha weight is about 69 lbs according to her vets records we found from 4/5/16
Thank you. I would have initiated insulin at 18 units twice daily and checked a glucose curve in 5 days after which I can see that I usually have to increase the dose. She's being significantly underdosed at this time and needs to see her vet at your earliest convenience. Her eyes concern me. I can understand cataracts in a diabetic dog but not swelling and crying which may be unrelated to her diabetes. A hypersensitivity reaction to insulin is possible but very uncommon. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i don't have the money to play your f**king money scamming games, I will be talking to my lawyers about this bullshit. You are suppose to be wanting to help and I agreed only to the $19 up front fee for which I thought covered all fees. And now you hit me up for $14 without my approval and state that it is the final half of the cost which was never mentioned in the beginning agreement until I accepted the $19 dollar fee to get help. Now you want me to pay $28 more to talk to you on the phone in order to speed things up. Sorry bunch of scamming bullshit I have ever seen. I will be talking to my own lawyer about this and I better not have more then the original $19 taken out for which I agreed to only up front fee. If I find out you took out more then the $19 I agreed to. I will see you in court soon. I will be setting up a visit to my vet and take it from here, He is treating Mocha for this and his fees are all up front, not a scamming greedy game you all are playing.
Please contact***@******.*** for questions concerning your financial obligation to the site. Experts aren't privy to that side of the site.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To Dr. Michael Salkin, I do not blame you for the cost games at this site, and will be checking for any other fees other then the $19 that i agree to in the first place. The Only Fee that i excepted, and it is on a satisfaction bases to, is the original $19 and there was no other mention toward any other fees or any other wait as long as a day to get answer back at that time either. As far as your advice is concern, I finally got a hold of my son n laws Vet and he said that he would have us bring our dog in on Monday and do test to see how she is really doing with her medicines and did say she may need an increase to after doing the blood test and that her eye sight will have problems like you said. So I feel the $19 was worth your info. As far as talking to you on the phone fees, we didn't talk on the phone and there better not be any fees of any amount for that or else I will be talking to Lawyers for sure. I do thank you for you info and feedback, and that was worth the $19 first charge. So thank you and I'll be checking of any other fees and Lawyers if needed.
Thank you for the additional information. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.