Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has a cancer tumour and it really smells. She is in

Customer Question

My dog has a cancer tumour and it really smells. She is in no pain and not yet ready to be euthanaized. How
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Is there a way of dealing with the smell.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: 16 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The best way to deal the smell is to keep it clean. The smell is from necrotic or dead tissue. These tumors have a tenancy to outgrow their blood supply and turn necrotic. You can keep them clean and keep the bacterial count down by cleaning with soap/ water as needed. I would do it every 1-2 days. You can also use Malaseb wipes- they have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.