Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog has a cancer tumour and it really smells. She is in

Customer Question

My dog has a cancer tumour and it really smells. She is in no pain and not yet ready to be euthanaized. How
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Is there a way of dealing with the smell.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: 16 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The best way to deal the smell is to keep it clean. The smell is from necrotic or dead tissue. These tumors have a tenancy to outgrow their blood supply and turn necrotic. You can keep them clean and keep the bacterial count down by cleaning with soap/ water as needed. I would do it every 1-2 days. You can also use Malaseb wipes- they have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.