Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Shaking like she is in pain. Tries to pee and cant. Took to

Customer Question

Shaking like she is in pain. Tries to pee and cant. Took to vet 2 days ago no WBC's in urine but told she had vaginitis and started on clavamox. She is trembling and tries to pee but can't will take back to the vet in the morning but what can she have for pain. She weighs 22 lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Pheobe
JA: Would you mind explaining that?
Customer: what
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no just wanted to know what I could give her that might help with the pain of possible cystitis. I will take her to our vet in the morning.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How old is she?Can she pass even a drop? When did she last pass any urine?Did her vet start any other treatment besides the Clavamox?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She turns 2 in May. She last peed about 8 last night. She is prone to UTIs because of her anatomy with her folds around her urethra. She didn't start her anything else. She has had 4 doses of the clavamox.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is a really short frenchie and she squared to pee of a second then stopped so I don't know if she was able to pee any drops or not.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say I am quite concerned about Pheobe.Vaginitis doesn’t usually cause the non-productive straining you are reporting. That instead is highly suggestive of bladder irritation. Though if she cannot pass anything at all and since she is on antibiotics (which should help cystitis too), I’d be worried we have another issue present. Specifically, this raises concerns of a possible blockage from a bladder stones, severe inflammation, or tumor (less likely at her age). Now I cannot see your time zone, so I cannot fully appreciate how long its been since her last urination. Still if she is constantly straining and passing absolutely nothing; then I have to say it would be ideal to have her seen urgently. This is because blockages can be fatal if continuous and left. And we just cannot predict when she is going to be able to pass urine again. As well, while we could try a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin) its not ideal to use if there is any chance she has a blockage as it could worsen kidney function in those cases. So, it would be an option if she can pass even a few drops but if she has a potential full obstruction then we'd be safest having her seen so that can be addressed +/- she can be started on strong injectable pain relief to settle her with this.Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going?Dr. B.