Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog, who is a malteseXpoodle, has something irritating

Customer Question

My dog, who is a malteseXpoodle, has something irritating him in his ear which is causing him pain and I see pus or mucous building up in it.
Could you help me with this problem?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Based on your description, its important to note that Rubix has a bacterial ear infection. This will likely need intra-ear antibiotics from his vet to clear for him +/- dog safe pain relief if he is very sore. In regards ***** ***** you can do in the meantime, you can help him by gently flushing the affected ear with salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). This is safe to use at home even if you cannot examine the ear drum at the bottom of the canal (where we'd not want to risk any OTC ear medications since they could cause harm if the ear drum is perforated). It will help you flush out and remove the pus; as well as lower the bacterial load since it is a mild antiseptic. Once you flush the fluid in, you can use cotton balls or cotton wool (not cotton buds or q-tips since those could damage that drum) to remove the pus and fluid.As well, if he is rubbing or scratching the ear, placing an e-collar short term will help prevent further self-trauma and introduction of other bacteria into the infection. If the outer ear is red and sore, you can also use a topical OTC hydrocortisone cream on that area to reduce the itchiness and soreness for him. Finally, if you suspect an allergy component to this, you can try him on an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Overall, Rubix's signs are consistent with a bacterial infection that we'd want his local vet to start ear drops for. Though in the meantime, the above can help reduce the infection and his discomfort. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rubix. How is everything going?