Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Bloating, diahreea frenchie

Customer Question

bloating, diahreea frenchie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had these signs?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Can he keep water down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Dr. B. I went to sleep after I sent you the question. The bloating appeared in late morning -- and progressed very quickly. She was in discomfort -- moaning, etc. The emergency hospital told me they wanted for me to bring her in or wait until the morning to see my vet. The hospital wanted $1500 - and I am unemployed. Such was simply impossible, so I had to wait until this morning. No sleep for me. In the middle of the nite she started howling like a wolf while sitting at the patio door. So I took her outside, and she promptly had a huge bowl movement -- very wet stuff. Then she wanted to go back in. This happened twice more during the nite. That was a relief. Then she started burping alot, and sometimes would vomit and burp together. I should mention that she was drinking a great deal of water during this period.She indicated she wanted to get in my bed, and promptly went to sleep beside her niece. This morning the bloating had subsided noticeably. So we had a morning walk, and she had two big dumps -- very wet. Her niece then had a very wet dump too. There must have been something they ate - and one got sicker than the other.Anyway, Alfee -- the bloated one - is now running around and playing rough with her niece per usual. For breakfast i only fed her two teaspoons of plain yogurt and a few cornflakes (4 or 5). She then drank a lot of water. Her bloating is way way down. I think we are out of woods.My problem -- on walks they want to eat twigs, tree bark, branches, dirt, fertilizer, daffodils, seeds, all kinds of things. I try to minimize this, but it is very hard to prevent. We have been like this for five years, since they were pups. You are implying that this very bad. Is there something I can do? perhaps carry treats to lure them from the aforestated?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello again, While it doesn’t sound like a pleasant night, I am very glad to hear that Alfee did pass all that material and the bloating came down. Especially as that rules out other worrying issues like fluid accumulation (from heart, liver, infection, etc) or distension from her stomach being twisted (which would have been a dire emergency). In any case, its great she has settles, though I do just want to note some further supportive care you can use if she still has a bit of an unsettled stomach over the next few days. First, if we have any more nausea, you can try a pet safe OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. Further to the diet you offered this morning, I would suggest trying her with a a light/easily digestible diet for a few days. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Once she is 100%, you can slowly wean her back to her normal diet. Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider using a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria (ideal for those loose stools). So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, I am very glad to hear that she passed all that material and is feeling more like herself now. Since she is, we can use the above as needed but would just want to keep a close eye on her and her niece to make sure we don’t have any more GI upset signs. Though if they are prone to eating odd items, we may need to focus on obedience training (to get them to drop those items and leave them) for the long term, but use basket muzzles on walks where we cannot control what they are exposed to for the short term until they do listen and avoid what we need them to not be eating. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Claude,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet