Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

12 lb Female Bichon licked boric acid off floor any home remedy

Customer Question

12 lb Female Bichon licked boric acid off floor any home remedy?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She just moan every hour or so now she is resting
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: I suspect tummy
JA: OK. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: MiMi 9yrs old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your 12 pound Bichon MiMi ingested a little boric acid (also known as Borax or orthoboric acid) and seemed uncomfortable. Boric acid (sodium tetraborate) is a fairly safe chemical. It is a desiccant, which is how it works on insects, but a dog would have to eat large quantities to even see stomach upset and that would be the only thing you are likely to see. It is likely Mimi will have very mild effects from taking a few licks.If she seems to have mild stomach upset to try and settle her stomach today you can give either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.Then you can feed a bland homemade diet consisting of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. But if she didn't eat much that shouldn't happen, she will very likely be fine.If she seems to worsening we also need to consider that this isn't necessarily all related to eating Boric acid. It's possible that she was licking the floor because she was nauseous for another reason. Dogs that are nauseous will often lick things. She is an older girl and so the possibility of metabolic organ disease (kidney or liver disease) or pancreatitis (inflammation and increased enzyme leakage leading to abdominal pain and nausea) are concerns.If she isn't coming along she should see her regular veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you Im very satisfied and relieved with your response
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Was I charged $5 only?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I cannot see what you were charged, I only see the question part and answer them as they come up. I will forward this to customer service and they can help you determine what you agreed to pay and thus what you were charged.If you didn't put in your email address when you signed up and posted your question you will want to add that so that they can contact you. I'll forward a request now to discuss charges with you.