Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My 96 pound Golden Retrivee had surgery 7 days ago

Customer Question

My 96 pound Golden Retrivee had surgery 7 days ago for his ACL and. Meniscus tear. Has been doing well until yesterday when the incision started to leak a blood tinged fluid. He is still on antibiotics and it doesn't look or smell infected. Took him back to surgeon yesterday where they threw in a few stapled and sent us home. About an hour ago the site began weeping a lot, and just now what looks like a piece of stringy meat was ejected from the midpoint in the incision. It's about as long as my index finger and maybe 1/4 inch around. Just looks like a trimmed piece of steak. Can't get my doctor til the morning. How concerned should I be? The dog is acting fine, ate and is taking water.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. Is Riley licking at his incision?Does his knee look swollen or feel warm to the touch?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No he is still wearing the collar. Looks ever so slightly swollen but not hot.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am currently typing in your answer - should be posting it in about 4-5 minutes. Unfortunately I am not setup for phone calls though I would be glad to continue chatting with you through this feed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry to hear that Riley has a piece of tissue that has come out of his incision - I can understand why you are concerned as this is not normal. The good news is that as long as he cannot lick at it or mess with it, he should be just fine. I would use some sterile saline solution on gauze or a warm compress such as a washcloth and hold some pressure on the incision for 4-5 minutes. This will keep the tissue moist and also help with any fluid drainage. It sounds like Riley has a seroma which is sterile fluid filled swelling that is common after many types of surgery. Keeping him as inactive as possible and using warm compresses 3-4 times a day are the best ways to help his body to reabsorb the fluid and heal. For tonight after placing a compress on his incision, I would recommend covering the incision with a bandage if possible (the knee is hard to wrap though) to keep any contamination from affected the piece of tissue. I would definitely take him to the surgeon tomorrow though as he will ned to have the tissue replaced and the incision repaired so that he will not have any more problems. Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Riley. How is everything going?

Dr. Matt