Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

She ate a raw raZorn clam. Threw up some tummy is very hard

Customer Question

She ate a raw raZorn clam. Threw up some tummy is very hard and sensitive. I was told to give her hydrogen peroxide and wait for 5 mins if she didn't throw up more to give more so far nothing in about 8 mins
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxy about 10 yrs
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. With a clam ingestion, I would prefer to get it out vs going with the wait and see approach. If 2 doses of hydrogen peroxide don't induce vomiting, then I would go to a vet and have them give an injection of Apomorphine. This is how we induce vomiting at the vet office. It works great and they should be able to get the clam out before it causes problems. I hoe this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What amount of hydrogen peroxide do you recommend. She is a ***** ***** and weighs about 18 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
In an 18 lb dog, you can give 4 teaspoons. I repeat the dose once. If still no vomiting, then it's off to a vet for Apomorphine
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?