Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 13 year old small dog . Who thinks he is starving.

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old small dog . Who thinks he is starving. Who will eat until he is sick. He eats thing like the rug and other unatable .he has Arthritis and takes med each night.
Meta am 1.5mg/ml he was over weight at 18 lbs but have him down to 8.5lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!Congratulations on getting the weight off Samson, I am sure that must have been quite the feat! There are many causes of polyphagia or increased food intake in dogs. I would definitely advise some basic bloodwork to rule out cushing's disease (CLICK HERE) or a low thyroid function (CLICK HERE) first and foremostFor my Chi's I add a raw carrot to their meals to meet their hunger needs as well as feeding a very high fiber diet which is low in calories so that they feel they are eating a lot but in fact are eating a lot calorie mealBut I definitely would advise some routine bloodwork at his age to rule out some of the major metabolic causes of his increased appetite and pica or eating non edible itemsPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Samson. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman