Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

6 yr old male mini daschaund...has watery discharge under eyes,

Customer Question

6 yr old male mini daschaund...has watery discharge under eyes, nose seems a bit dry and some swelling in throat (base of neck)
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Hans
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: He had some limping in back leg over the weekend, is walking fine now but still a bit hesitant about getting on his usual furniture spots
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I did not find anything
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize that no expert has jumped in to answer your question until now.IT is tough to link his different issues (swelling in neck/throat area, discharge from eyes, dry nose and the lameness which is improving) but if the throat/neck swelling is due to lymph nodes being enlarged then I worry he may be fighting an infection, especially a tick-borne bacterial infection (such as Lyme disease, Ehrlichiosis, or Anaplasmosis) or a fungal infection, both of which could lead to lameness. There are other possible causes, though, of lymph node enlargement such as cancer (lymphosarcoma). I really wish I could provide you with a diagnosis, but but this one of those situations when he really needs an examination to determine what this swelling may be (lymph nodes versus bite/sting versus abscess versus mass) and to evaluate the lameness (localize it to which joint is painful and look for lesions or consider X-rays to further evaluate for bone abnormalities). Further testing would then be recommended based on this examination such as aspiration of the swelling (or lymph nodes) and possibly lab work to look for infection or if you live in an area with a high incidence of fungal disease, then screening for this as well.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.